RC job openings are advertised normally twice per year, in January and September, and posted on the UN Careers Portal. Only RC Pool members are eligible to apply.
Who can apply?
For RC and RC/HC positions:
RC Pool members must meet the following eligibility requirements at the time of application:
- Master’s degree – or equivalent post graduate qualification – in development studies, international relations, political science, economics, social sciences, human rights, law, or closely related fields.*
- Minimum 15 years of substantive experience and results in leadership roles at the international level (including five years of cumulative experience in development, human rights, rule of law, peace-building or humanitarian work at country level outside of one's own country).
- Ability to serve a full tour of duty at the duty station of the advertised RC or RC/HC position before reaching the age of 65 years.
- For UN staff, be one grade above, one grade below, or at the same grade as the position.
- Fluency in English.
- Rating of “Fully met performance expectations” or equivalent in the last two performance appraisals.**
* For otherwise suitably qualified applicants, a first level university degree with a relevant combination of academic qualifications and experience may be accepted in lieu of an advanced post graduate university degree.
** This requirement is waived if the employer of the applicant does not provide performance appraisals.
Depending on the position, eligible candidates may be evaluated against additional required or desirable criteria.
For RC positions with an additional senior leadership function in integrated peacekeeping and special political missions (i.e. DSRSG/RC/HC and equivalent):
Previous RC experience or senior-level inter-agency coordination experience is required. Depending on the position, eligible applicants may be evaluated against additional required or desirable criteria, which are listed in the Terms of Reference of the position.
How are RCs selected?
RC Pool members are directly informed of all RC job openings:
- RC and RC/HC job openings are advertised at least twice per year, normally in January and September.
- DSRSG/RC/HC job openings are advertised throughout the year.
RC job openings are normally advertised for 15 days. Interested RC Pool members are encouraged to apply well in advance to allow sufficient time for assistance should any technical issue arise.
RC Pool members should apply for RC and RC/HC job openings online through the United Nations Careers portal.
In addition to completing the online application form, RC Pool members are required to upload the following documents:
- Two most recent performance appraisal reports, or equivalent.
- Updated biography (in Word format)
- Completed pre-appointment declaration of interest form
- Completed self-attestation for senior positions form
- Completed consent and waiver of liabilities form
RC Pool members should apply for DSRSG/RC/HC job openings via email.
Applications are reviewed against the established criteria of the job opening and undergo a rigorous assessment process that includes an interview. An inter-agency Assessment Panel submits the list of suitable applicants to the Chair of the UNSDG through the Director of DCO. The Chair of the UNSDG makes a recommendation to the Secretary-General, who makes the selection decision.
For additional details, check out the Resident Coordinator Application Guide.
Check out the FAQ on Becoming a Resident Coordinator.