Antigua and Barbuda
| Photo: United Nations
Antigua and Barbuda
Antigua and Barbuda is one of the seven independent states covered by the Multi-Country Office (MCO) in Barbados and the Eastern Caribbean.
Antigua and Barbuda, called the 'Land of 365 beaches', has a population of 97,929 people and consists of two major islands and a number of small ones. Antigua and Barbuda is one of the seven independent states covered by the UN Multi-Country Office for Barbados and the Eastern Caribbean and has fully committed to embracing the 2030 Agenda and achieving the 17 sustainable development goals. This commitment can be seen through Government's keen partnership on two major UN joint initiatives which are aimed at mitigating the impact of climate change and enhancing the livelihoods of women and other vulnerable groups. These joint programmes support Antigua in achieving Goals 1, 2, 5, 8, 10, 12 and 16.
- On 7 January, 2016 Antigua and Barbuda ratified the United Nations Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities.
- In 2017, following devastating impacts from Hurricanes Irma and Maria the UNDP and PAHO, through the India-UN Development Partnership Fund, supported the reconstruction of the Hanna Thomas Hospital among other major hurricane reconstruction and recovery efforts.
- On 3 July, 2019, Antigua and Barbuda ratified the International Covenant on Civil and Political rights (ICCPR) and the International Covenant on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights.
- On 1 June, 2019 in collaboration with the President of the General Assembly, UNEP and UNOPS, the Government of Antigua and Barbuda staged the “Play it Out” advocacy concert to raise awareness on the impact of plastics on human health and the environment and to promote the phasing out of use of single-use plastics.
- On June 11, 2019 UN Barbados and the Eastern Caribbean hosted a Sustainable Development Goals Gallery to educate people on the 2030 Agenda and the importance of 17 global goals.
- On October 20, 2020 in partnership with UN Women, FAO, ILO and UNDP, Antigua and Barbuda implemented the regional UN Human Security Trust Fund joint initiative to empower women and youth in the Agri/Fisheries Small Business Sectors, while advancing comprehensive gender-responsible development.
To learn more visit: https://easterncaribbean.un.org/en/about/antigua-and-barbuda.
To visit the Multi-Country Office website, visit: https://easterncaribbean.un.org/.
UN Country Team
Resident Coordinator Office
UN Entities in the Country
Tonni Ann Brodber
Jose Vila de Castilo
UN Key Documents
UNDAF/United Nations Sustainable Development Cooperation Framework (CP)