| Photo: © UN Benin
The United Nations in Benin
In Benin, the United Nations has been in Benin since its independence in 1960. Some 20 agencies, funds and specialized programmes support the Government in achieving its national priorities, in line with the Sustainable Development Goals.
We work with the Government, and the other partners, to improve the living conditions and well-being of the people. Our areas of intervention cover: (i) strong and sustainable inclusive economic growth; (ii) strengthening human capital and (iii) consolidating democracy in the rule of law and promoting good governance.
- With the support of the United Nations System, thousands of Beninese youths aged 15-35 and women were supported in starting their own businesses. Thousands of households in poor areas received support to set up income-generating activities that contributed to improving their living conditions.
- The work of the UN in Benin led to the strengthening of health trainings, including trainings for healthcare professionals on the 7 Basic Emergency Neonatal and Obstetric Care functions. Through its work, the UN in Benin also reduced by more than 50% the proportion of children between 6 and 59 months of age suffering from acute malnutrition.
- The actions taken by the UN System fostered public support for improving the protection of children in distress and disabled children, and for stepping up the fight against gender-based violence.
- The UN System supported the modernization process within the public administration and the digitalization of public service interventions and procedures. Support was also provided to the institutions of the Republic with the aim to strengthen and consolidate democracy, the rule of law and citizens' scrutiny.
- The UN System worked with the Government to develop operational tools for the sustainable management of natural resources, establish early warning systems for climate crises and natural disasters and strengthen the population’s resilience.
To learn more visit: https://benin.un.org/.
Data about the work of the UN Country Team on COVID-19 is available on their Country Dashboard.
UN Country Team
Resident Coordinator Office
Assiba Benedicta Houetchenou
Ahonami Yvette Dognon Aifa
Aristide Fiacre Djossou
UN Entities in the Country
Abibatou Aissatou WANE
UN Key Documents
UNDAF/United Nations Sustainable Development Cooperation Framework (CP)