| Photo: UNRCO Cameroon
The United Nations in Cameroon
The United Nations system in Cameroon is led by a team whose leadership is based on mutual accountability for the results achieved by the United Nations in the country. The coordination function is strengthened and overseen by the UN Resident Coordinator in Cameroon, the designated representative of the Secretary-General for development operations.
The UN Country Team works together, based on a "Delivering as One" approach to respond more effectively to Cameroon's development priorities and humanitarian needs, in line with the United Nations’ mandate. Currently, the United Nations system in Cameroon is made up of 22 resident and non-resident agencies, funds, and programmes.
To improve teamwork, joint programmes have been implemented in the northern and eastern regions of the country. These programmes have been developed by Result Groups, in partnership with the concerned public administrations. They provide an opportunity for UN entities to pool their expertise based on their comparative advantage to collectively contribute to national development priorities and strategies.
These programmes have been identified by the country team in collaboration with national implementing partners, based on the United Nations Development Assistance Framework for 2018-2020 and other background documents.
Four joint programmes have thus been identified and will be implemented in 2018-2020:
- The Joint Programme on Food Security
- The Joint Programme on Revitalizing Economies by Young People and Women
- The Joint Health and Nutrition Programme
- The Joint Programme on Resilience.
In addition to these joint programmes, other activities will also be implemented during this period, based on joint work plans.
- The United Nations supports the Cameroonian government to empower women and youth through initiatives aimed at increasing decent employment opportunities, reducing inequalities and combatting violence against women, young people, children and marginalized people. The aim is to promote self-employment, and improve the working conditions of youth, women and refugees.
- The United Nations supports the State of Cameroon to improve access to—and use—of health services for people in the most vulnerable areas. These include reproductive health, prevention, tuberculosis, malaria, and other diseases, as well as prevention and management of malnutrition.
- Provision of support to improve access to quality education and vocational training, especially for vulnerable groups, including quality, inclusive education for children and young people, especially girls. Increased and access to professional training and learning opportunities in line with the productive sector.
- The UN in Cameroon is further working in the area of resilience, early recovery, and food security through strengthening the resilience of vulnerable groups to environmental, social and economic shocks, reducing the proportion of people affected by economic, social, and environmental disasters, and facilitating increased and equitable access to adequate food.
- The UN is accompanying the Cameroonian government, civil society organizations, private actors, and development partners in the design and implementation of activities conducive to the achievement of the Sustainable Development Goals in Cameroon.
- The United Nations in Cameroon supports the protection of the environment by raising public awareness of environmental damage caused by plastic waste and by limiting the use of plastic materials by the United Nations System in Cameroon. Support is also provided to organizations that recycle plastic waste
To learn more visit: https://cameroon.un.org/.
Data about the work of the UN Country Team on COVID-19 is available on their Country Dashboard.
UN Country Team
Resident Coordinator Office
UN Entities in the Country
Antonio Maria Afonso Pedro
M. Francois Murangira
M. Jean-Jacques Massima Landji
M. Louis Marie Bouaka
Dr Savina Ammassari
Olivier Guillaume Beer
M. Jean-Jacque Massima-Landji
Dr Habimana Phanuel
M. Seybou Boubacar
UN Key Documents
UNDAF/United Nations Sustainable Development Cooperation Framework (CP)