| Photo: UN Côte d'Ivoire
The United Nations in Côte d'Ivoire
Since Côte d'Ivoire joined the United Nations (UN) on 20 September 1960, the United Nations System has been supporting the country, helping government authorities formulate, implement and monitor national strategies, as well as coordinate interventions in the field. To this end, the United Nations System has been using the comparative advantages of its various entities.
The Country Team is composed of representatives of 15 resident and non-resident funds, agencies, programmes and entities, and is led by the Resident Coordinator. The Country Team is responsible for leading the development and implementation of the cooperation framework with the Government of Côte d'Ivoire.
Building on the "Delivering as One" approach, the United Nations in Côte d'Ivoire works with civil society, the private sector and other relevant partners to provide an integrated and effective response to the country's development challenges, and support the achievement of the Sustainable Development Goals by 2030.
- SDGs: The UNDS supports Côte d'Ivoire in the implementation of Agenda 2030. One of its major contributions was the development and adoption of the national roadmap for the mainstreaming of the SDGs in policies, strategies and programmes.
- Human Rights: The participation of Côte d'Ivoire in the work of treaty bodies, such as the Universal Periodic Review, has been effective thanks to the support of the UNDS, which has also assisted with the operationalization of the National Human Rights Council and the National Observatory on Gender Equity.
- Inclusive growth and fight against poverty: The UNDS provides support to the Government of Côte d'Ivoire to reduce inequalities through the promotion of income and employment opportunities for vulnerable groups living in extreme poverty, with a particular focus on women and youth.
- Climate Change: The UNDS carried out advocacy work and provided technical assistance, leading Côte d'Ivoire to ratify the Paris Agreement and adopt the National Strategy on Climate Change, which is mainly based on the fight against deforestation.
- Access to basic social services: With support from the UNDS, Côte d'Ivoire has increased co-financing for projects and programmes aimed at improving social services such as maternal health and access to drinking water; but also for innovative initiatives such as literacy education programmes using ICTs.
- Joint programs: Two new joint programs were designed. 1) Acceleration of equitable access to health and education services for girls, women, children and adolescents. 2) Acceleration of the economic empowerment of women and youth in agro-food industry value chains.
To learn more visit: https://cotedivoire.un.org/.
Data about the work of the UN Country Team on COVID-19 is available on their Country Dashboard.
UN Country Team
Resident Coordinator Office
UN Entities in the Country
Abdoul Wahab Barry
Antonia N’Gabala Sodonon
Carol Flore Smereczniak
Tidiane Edouard Boye
Jean-Marie Vianny Yameogo
UN Key Documents
UNDAF/United Nations Sustainable Development Cooperation Framework (CP)