Democratic People's Republic of Korea
The United Nations in Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK)
The UN’s work in DPRK focuses on four strategic priorities as established in the United Nations Strategic Framework (UNSF); Food and Nutrition Security, Social Development Services, Resilience and Sustainability, and Data and Development Management. The associated UNSF Theme Groups draw on the work of a variety of issue-related Sector Working Groups (SWG), which are more broadly-based, beyond the UN System.
- Food and Nutrition. Community-based management of acute malnutrition services expanded geographically to give access to about 90% of the under-five population.
- Social Development Services. Increased immunization coverage from 43% in 1998 to 96% 2016 and introduction of new vaccines. Consolidation and expansion of the National Tuberculosis Control programme and pre-elimination of malaria in DPRK.
- Resilience and Sustainability. Increased community resilience in face of natural disasters through embankment, reforestation, sloping land rehab, and alternative livelihood opportunities.
- Data and Development Management. UNICEF has supported the establishment of the Child Data Unit inside the Central Bureau for Statistics.
- Emergency Response. In case of an emergency, such as floods and drought, the Humanitarian Country Team members carry out joint assessment missions with the Government, and work together to provide support to those affected.
- Water and Sanitation. Construction of water supply systems, mainly gravity fed systems in county town and villages. Promotion of improved sanitary facilities and hygienic behaviors.
To learn more visit: https://dprkorea.un.org/.
UN Democratic People's Republic of Korea Country Team
UN Key Documents
UNDAF/United Nations Sustainable Development Cooperation Framework (CP)