| Photo: UNRCO Djibouti
The United Nations in Djibouti
In Djibouti, the United Nations development system (UNDS) is represented by 14 funds, agencies, programmes and entities that carry out activities according to their specific mandates and in line with the United Nations Sustainable Development Cooperation Framework (UNSDCF) signed with the Government of the Republic of Djibouti.
The United Nations Country Team (UNCT) is composed of representatives of these organizations. It operates under the leadership of the Resident Coordinator whose role is to bring together these various entities in order to strengthen the coherence and effectiveness of the work of the UNDS in Djibouti. As a key platform for joint decision-making among UN entities, the UNCT serves as a mechanism for all UN entities in Djibouti to formulate common positions on strategic issues and ensures coherence in action and advocacy.
The UN system in Djibouti has been supporting the country's national development policies for many decades through four-year partnership cycles. The guidelines for this support are set out in a strategic document called the United Nations Development Assistance Framework (UNDAF), which describes the collective response of the United Nations system to the development priorities of the Government of Djibouti. The document also sets out guidelines for the activities of the UNCT in Djibouti.
The current UNDAF runs from 2018 to 2022 and was signed with the Government in May 2016. It represents a commitment by the United Nations system in Djibouti to pursuing, in close collaboration with the Government and the country's development partners, the achievement of national development priorities.
Country Team flagship initiatives include:
- Youth, education and employability. Implementing a joint program on youth employment; Supporting the development of relevant policies and regulations; Supporting the establishment of an innovation hub as well as private sector engagement; Supporting efforts to provide access to financing for businesses and entrepreneurs; Engaging youth in programming.
- Financing for development. Leveraging public and private resources as well as official development assistance; Supporting domestic resource mobilization; Supporting accountability and transparency efforts; Leveraging UN resources; Increasing efficiency, equity and sustainability.
- Human rights-based approach to social inclusion and basic services. Applying the human rights-based approach to the SDG; Facilitating social inclusion and the reduction of inequalities; Supporting efforts to provide equitable access to basic social services; Reaching the most disadvantaged; Integrating human rights in the UNDAF; Implementing monitoring programmes jointly with the government.
- Data for action. Implementing a joint program to provide coordinated support to the Central statistics office and to line ministries (on data); Focusing on data collection, analysis, dissemination and use; Engaging with local actors and communities; Collaborating with the World Bank.
- Regional integration. "One People"; Collaborating with neighbouring countries and regional partners; Using the Horn of Africa Strategy as a basis for collaboration; Addressing transboundary issues (e.g. migration, climate change, peace and security, access to water, trade, etc.); Conducting joint analysis and/or identifying joint priorities/outcomes in UNDAFs.
- Humanitarian-Development Nexus. Improving information sharing among different actors (policy, humanitarian and development actors); Improving the sharing of joint missions, common needs and vulnerability assessments, and seeking further complementarity in programming.
To learn more, visit: https://djibouti.un.org/.
Data about the work of the UN Country Team on COVID-19 is available on their Country Dashboard.
UN Country Team
Resident Coordinator Office
Mr Harbi Omar
Idyle Ali Moussa
Awo Hassan Ali
Danon Roland GNEZALE
UN Entities in the Country
Farah Had Hassan Farah
Ms Fatima Elsheikh
Mr Boubacar Barry
Ms Fatima Elsheikh
Ms Melva Johnson
Ms Mutinta Chimuka
Mr Sakor Yohomdakoul
Ms Worknesh Mekonnen Gonet
Ms Stéphanie Daviot
UN Key Documents
UNDAF/United Nations Sustainable Development Cooperation Framework (CP)