| Photo: UN Dominican Republic
The United Nations in the Dominican Republic
Officially, the UN was established on October 24, 1945, when representatives from 51 countries, including the Dominican Republic, met in San Francisco at the United Nations Conference to ratify the United Nations Charter. Currently, the United Nations system in the Dominican Republic is represented by ten resident agencies, funds and programmes, and eight non-residents that have signed the United Nations Development Assistance Framework (UNDAF) with the Dominican State for the period between 2018 to 2022.
- The Dominican Republic has created the High-Level Commission for Sustainable Development, bringing together national institutions, commissions, and subcommissions to monitor, promote, and advocate for the country's SDGs. The National Development Strategy 2030 has an alignment of more than 70% with the 2030 Agenda.
- The country has RoadMaps prepared and in process to accelerate the achievement of the end of poverty, zero hunger, quality education, gender equality, and sustainable production and consumption.
- The 2030 Agenda has mobilized actors from civil society, academia, the private sector, and groups in vulnerability conditions through initiatives such as the Academy for the 2030 Agenda, Promoters of the 2030 Agenda, and Art 2030.
- Regarding the environment, the country has prepared: The National Policy on Climate Change, the Adaptation Plan for Climate Change, as well as three national communications programmes and its 1st Biennial Update Report.
- The Voluntary National Report on the progress of the 2030 Agenda included the perspective of civil society, the private sector, academia, youth, and groups in vulnerable conditions as active actors in developing policies, showing the strong commitment from the government and other sectors in the SDGs.
- The country has a MAPS report, an analysis to guarantee mainstreaming, acceleration, and policy advice, which defines the five accelerators necessary for the fulfillment of the 2030 Agenda.
To learn more, visit: https://dominicanrepublic.un.org/.
Data about the work of the UN Country Team on COVID-19 is available on their Country Dashboard.
UN Country Team
Resident Coordinator Office
UN Entities in the Country
UN Key Documents
UNDAF/United Nations Sustainable Development Cooperation Framework (CP)