| Photo: UNDP Ecuador
The United Nations in Ecuador
We have been working in Ecuador since 1950, and have done so through the support from 23 resident and non-resident entities.
Our UN Sustainable Development Cooperation Framework for 2019 to 2022 responds to national priorities, and it is the result of joint dialogues and collaborations between the agencies of the United Nations system and the Ecuadorian State.
Through coordination, we have implemented programmes and projects to support the State, and civil society as a whole, to achieve the major national goals and comply with international commitments, reflected in the 2030 Agenda and its 17 Sustainable Development Goals. For almost 75 years, we have established strong recognition and partnerships.
Our agenda also reflects the global consensus among the UN Member States. Together with the Government, civil society, academia, the private sector and other partners, we provide long-standing solutions to combat the challenges of the 2030 Agenda.
In addition, we support the Ecuadorian State to guarantee and protect people’s human rights, especially related to gender, intergenerational, intercultural, disabilities and human mobility.
- Full and inclusive living conditions for everyone. We support national efforts to improve quality and relevant social services, with a gender and intercultural approach. We contribute to the implementation of public policy in the areas of maternal and child health, maternal mortality, prevention of adolescent pregnancy, nutrition and food security, expansion of social security coverage, and prevention and response mechanisms for gender-based violence.
- Conservation and sustainable management of natural resources. We work with various sectors to adavance efforts and implement better practices to end deforestation, manage electrical waste, decrease the use of polluting pesticides, and develop climate change resilience. We actively contributed to the National Biodiversity Strategy and Action Plan and the implementation of the Nagoya Protocol.
- Livelihoods and inclusion. We developed conditions for economic inclusion and decent work. In particular, we took an active role in the design and implementation of national policies in the areas of technical and vocational education and training, agricultural plans and policies, such as the rural women's policy for family farming. We have fostered the joint efforts of small producers, and have helped to advance the gender equality policies in the private sector.
- Human rights and transparency. We support the strengthening of systems for the protection of rights at the national and local level, as well as national efforts towards effective and transparent institutions. We promote spaces for political participation, especially for women and young people.
- Advancing the SDGs for the 2030 Agenda. We maintain permanent advocacy and assistance for the implementation of the 2030 Agenda, creating bridges between the different partners, entities and other stakeholders. At the national level, we helped create an advisory committee for the implementation of the 2030 Agenda. And we also foster data generation. At the local level we encourage territorial planning to be framed in the principles and objectives of the Agenda.
- Human mobility. The UNCT, the State and other partners advance the national response to people on the move, including migrants, refugees and other people in vulnerable situations, to improve the protection, inclusion and access to services, in particular health and education. To help stop xenophobia and other forms of discriminations, we promoted the campaign “Abrazos que Unen” (“Hugs that Bring Us Closer” in English). By doing so, together as one, we contributed to a full integration of people on the move and equal opportunities, by helping host communities thrive.
To learn more visit: https://ecuador.un.org/.
Data about the work of the UN Country Team on COVID-19 is available on their Country Dashboard.
UN Country Team
Resident Coordinator Office
UN Entities in the Country
José Iván Dávalos
Maria Clara Martín
Antonino De Leo
UN Key Documents
UNDAF/United Nations Sustainable Development Cooperation Framework (CP)