| Photo: © UN Ethiopia/Getachew Dibaba
The United Nations in Ethiopia
Ethiopia is a founding member of the United Nations. The UN System in Ethiopia is one of the largest in the world and covers both development and humanitarian assistance. The UN Country Team (UNCT) in Ethiopia is composed of representatives of 28 UN funds and programmes and specialized agencies.
Some of the UN agencies in the UNCT have regional mandate or act as liaison offices to the UN Economic Commission in Africa and the African Union.
The UN works through a harmonized assistance framework to support Ethiopia to deliver the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and national development priorities. The UN in Ethiopia is also in the process of developing the United Nations Sustainable Development Cooperation Framework.
- The United Nations helps to strengthen the country’s capacity to generate and manage data and to use it to inform decision making and policy development. The support includes implementation of the National Statistical Development Strategy II; preparation of the Voluntary National Review report on the SDGs; completion of the Ethiopian 2016 Demographic and Health Survey; as well as the preparations for the upcoming Census in Ethiopia.
- The UN supports to move the agriculture sector toward climate smart and productivity through establishing and strengthening the Agricultural Transformation Agency and modernization of the agriculture sector through mass procurement of machinery for the Ethiopian agricultural research centers.
- The United Nations generates evidence including a gender gap analysis of the public finance management system of Ethiopia (2018), a gender statistics report (2017) and an assessment report on the gender responsive budgeting that are essential for policy decision making on gender equality and women empowerment.
- The UN supported the implementation of a Comprehensive Refugee Response Framework (CRRF) that aims to deliver a more predictable and sustainable approach to refugee management for refugees’ self-reliance, enhanced basic and social services for refugees and the realization of basic rights including access to birth certification and increased enrolment in education.
- The United Nations has supported Ethiopia to boost its industrial and service sector growth and increasing employment opportunities for women, youth and vulnerable groups. Interventions are giving micro, small- and medium-sized enterprises, including small farming businesses, the skills and capacities they need to produce.
- The United Nations has coordinated effective humanitarian response to recurrent drought and internally displaced people (IDPs). In 2018, the UN closely worked with the Ethiopian government, donors and partners to provide humanitarian assistance to 7.9 million people.
To learn more visit: https://ethiopia.un.org/.
UN Country Team
Resident Coordinator Office
UN Entities in the Country
Ms. Fatouma Djama Seid
Mr. Andrew Rugege
Ms. Margaret Akullo
Ms. Nwanneakolam Vwede-obahor
Steven Were Omamo
Ms. Worknesh Mekonnen
Mr. Samba Harouna
Sajjad Mohammed Sajid
Aklilu Fikresilassie Kabiso
Ms. Aurelia Patrizia Calabro
Dr. Boureima Hama Sambo
Ana Elisa Santana Afonso
Kuena Motsoapitso Molapo
Ms. Caroline Turk
UN Key Documents
UNDAF/United Nations Sustainable Development Cooperation Framework (CP)