| Photo: © UN Ghana. A beneficiary farmer of a UNDP irrigation project in the Northern region of Ghana attends to his farm.
The United Nations in Ghana
Akwaaba and welcome to the UN Ghana website!
The United Nations has been present in Ghana since the early 1960s, and works in partnership with the Government and people of Ghana for sustainable economic and social development, peace, and human rights.
The UN Sustainable Development Partnership (UNSDP) 2017-2022 reflects the conviction that UN work should support SDG attainment and expresses the nature of work with the UN as a partnership rather than as a source of assistance. It is the One Programme for the UN in Ghana, setting out the collective, harmonised support of 24 UN Agencies.
Over 20 UN agencies working in the country draw on their individual mandates, experience and expertise to provide technical support, policy advice, and knowledge-sharing as one team. Our constituents and development partners expect this in order for the UN to be a coherent, efficient and effective development partner in Ghana.
- In October 2018 UN in Ghana and the Government of Ghana launch the United Nations Sustainable Development Partnership.
- On 13 June 2018, the Government of Ghana and the United Nations in Ghana jointly signed the UN Sustainable Development Partnership 2018-2022 (UNSDP), a five-year strategic framework that sets out the collective vision and response of the UN system to national development priorities. The UNSDP was subsequently launched on 29 October 2019.
- In 2012 Ghana requested to adopt the Delivering as One approach.
- In May 2019, the President of the 73rd Session of the UN General Assembly paid a 2-day working visit to Ghana at which time she called on the President of Ghana, Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo, the Minister of Foreign Affairs and Regional Integration and met with the UN Country Team.
- In November 2017, the UN Communications Group (UNCG) together with the CSOs Platform on the SDGs launched a booklet of SDG advocacy messages. The publication suggests why each of the goals should matter to us and what we can do, as individuals, to contribute to their successful implementation in Ghana and to ensure that no one is left behind.
- In 2013, the UN in Ghana for the first time compiled stories of what the United Nations does in Ghana. The publication, titled, "United Nations in Ghana: Voices from the Field" comprises 33 stories that cover a wide range of areas where UN assistance has made tangible contributions to achieving the MDGs in Ghana. The stories include, Actions on climate change and disaster risk management, Kangaroo mother care, Resource efficiency in Cocoa processing industry, The UN MDG Acceleration Framework, etc.
To learn more visit: https://ghana.un.org.
Data about the work of the UN Country Team on COVID-19 is available on their Country Dashboard.
UN Country Team
Resident Coordinator Office
UN Entities in the Country
Mr. Abdourahamane Diallo
Anne-Claire Dufay Demoulin
Ifeoma Esther Charles-Monwuba
UN Key Documents
UNDAF/United Nations Sustainable Development Cooperation Framework (CP)