| Photo: United Nations
The United Nations in Grenada
Grenada is one of seven independent territories covered by the United Nations Multi-Country Office (MCO) in Barbados and the Eastern Caribbean.
Popularly known as the 'Spice Isle', Grenada is located in the Caribbean Sea and is home to 112,523 people. Whilst committed to achieving the 2030 agenda, Grenada in on a specific mission to end the scourge of Family Violence. Research indicates that one in every three women in Grenada has, or will, experience Intimate Partner Violence (IPV) in their lifetime. Therefore, with the support of UN joint programmes, Grenada has implemented initiatives to address this issue, achieve Goal 5 and end all forms of Violence Against Women And Girls (VAWG).
- On 5 November, 1990 Grenada ratified the United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child.
- On 27 August, 2014 Grenada ratified the United Nations Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities.
- On 26 September, 2019 Grenada ratified the Convention against Torture and Other Cruel, Inhuman or Degrading Treatment or Punishment.
- On 5 March, 2020 the Spotlight Initiative to End Violence against Women And Girls (VAWAG) was launched in Grenada. On August 18, 2020, under the aegis of Spotlight and based on findings from Grenada's first national study on Gender-based Violence, the Caribbean Women Count: The Ending Violence against Women and Girls Data Hub” was also launched.
- With the support of UNICEF, Grenada is implementing the Child-Friendly Initiative that includes public education and awareness raising campaigns on children’s rights to protect them from all forms of violence, including corporal punishment, among other actions.
- In February 2015, in collaboration with UNDP, Grenada adopted an integrated the “Ridge to Reef” approach to protect biodiversity and ecosystems.
- In July 2020, the United Nations Development System successfully pitched and received approval for a USD 1.1M joint project, to help three regional governments, including the Government of Grenada, to develop financing strategies in the Blue Economy and creating and enabling framework for SDG Investment. This project is being implemented UNDP, FAO and UNEP.
To learn more visit: https://easterncaribbean.un.org/en/about/grenada.
To visit the Multi-Country Office website, visit: https://easterncaribbean.un.org/.
UN Country Team
Resident Coordinator Office
UN Entities in the Country
Jose Vila de Castilo
UN Key Documents
UNDAF/United Nations Sustainable Development Cooperation Framework (CP)