| Photo: UN Photo/F Charton
The United Nations in Kazakhstan
The United Nations Country Team (UNCT) works with the people and Government of Kazakhstan, along with other development partners, to ensure more prosperous and more secure lives for every woman and man, girl and boy, particularly the most vulnerable.
The United Nations Country Team works on a broad range of issues, including economic and social development and health, environmental protection and disaster relief, the promotion of good governance and human rights, gender equality and the advancement of women.
In our work in Kazakhstan, we ensure that the development and implementation of all United Nations planning and programming documents align fully with national development needs and priorities.
- A landmark Concept on Family and Gender Policy up to 2030 adopted by the President, paves the way for reforms towards achieving gender equality, combating gender-based violence and improving the sexual and reproductive health of young people (supported by UNDP, UNFPA, UNICEF and UNWOMEN).
- United Nations supported the establishment of Centre for Emergency Situations and Disaster Risk Reduction which is an intergovernmental body with the aim of ensuring effective mechanisms to decrease the risk of emergencies, to mitigate the consequences, to organize a joint response and stimulate regional and international cooperation.
- Kazakhstan subscribes to the commitments of the Political Declaration on HIV and AIDS: On the Fast-Track to Accelerate the Fight against HIV and to End the AIDS Epidemic by 2030.
- Kazakhstan ratifies the UN Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities.
- Making Pregnancy Safer strategy (Effective Perinatal Care) and Integrated Management of Childhood Illness (IMCI) adopted which led over time to a significant reduction in maternal and neonatal mortality rates in the country (with support from UNFPA, UNICEF and WHO).
- Kazakhstan establishes the Committee for Protection of Children’s Rights under the Ministry of Education and Science of the Republic of Kazakhstan.
To learn more visit: https://kazakhstan.un.org.
Data about the work of the UN Country Team on COVID-19 is available on their Country Dashboard.
To access the latest Partnership Framework, click on this link: Partnership Framework For Development, Kazakhstan, 2016-2020.
UN Country Team
Resident Coordinator Office
UN Entities in the Country
Talgat Umirzhanov, National Coordinator
Madina Sarieva, Head a.i. of UNODC Programme Office in Kazakhstan
Arthur van Diesen
Chandana Tiwari, Security Advisor
UN Key Documents
UNDAF/United Nations Sustainable Development Cooperation Framework (CP)