The Malaysia Multi-Country Office (MCO)
The United Nations Multi-Country Office for Malaysia, Singapore and Brunei Darussalam is located in Putrajaya, Malaysia and covers three independent countries.
The mandate of the United Nations is to support the three countries in its vision of achieving the 2030 Agenda, which charts a development path that balances economic growth with social inclusion and environmental sustainability, based on solid institutional foundations, conditions for peaceful societies and the realization of human rights. To this end, 169 targets further specify the ambitious 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) to be achieved by 2030 and a comprehensive indicator framework has been developed to measure progress.
Globally, 130 UN Country Teams implement the UNSDG strategic priorities in 162 countries and territories, helping them implement the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development. The UNCT in Malaysia brings a wide range of expertise, international standards and best practices to address complex developmental challenges. We work closely with government, civil society, private sector, academia and people from all walks of life – prioritising last mile development issues and driving catalytic action through strategic efforts and partnerships
In Malaysia, the United Nations Country Team (UNCT) comprises 21 agencies, led by the UN Resident Coordinator (RC), to deliver greater impact together on the 2030 Agenda and SDGs in line with national priorities, plans and needs. This is a good representation of the largest multilateral organisation in the world.
Milestones in Malaysia:
- MySDG Trust Fund: Announced in Budget 2021 - Established with cooperation with Government of Malaysia with an initial allocation of RM20 million. The fund will coordinate financing from various public and private sources systematically.
- Malaysia SDG Summit 2019: Over 2,600 participants in the two-day Summit in November 2019, launched by Prime Minister of Malaysia.
- 12 Malaysia Plan Policy Advisory Papers: Policy Advisory Papers, across economic, social and environmental sectors, were jointly developed by 11 UN agencies and submitted to the Economic Planning Unit as inputs for the development of the 12 Malaysia Plan.
- Multi-Sectoral Support to COVID-19 Preparedness, Response & Recovery: The UN development system in Malaysia provided coordinated responses, including regarding public health response, humanitarian needs of vulnerable groups and socio-economic response.
- TogetherForSDGs Hub: Announced during the SDG Summit 2019, the TogetherForSDGs hub is to bring together alternative solutions & resource providers from all sectors to align to national priorities, 2030 Agenda and SDGs.
- National SDG Roadmap: The UNCT collaborated with the Government of Malaysia to formulate the National SDG Roadmap 2016-2020.
To learn more, visit: https://malaysia.un.org/.
UN Malaysia (MCO) Country Team
UN Key Documents
UNDAF/United Nations Sustainable Development Cooperation Framework (CP)