| Photo: UN North Macedonia RCO
The United Nations in North Macedonia
The United Nations in North Macedonia works to improve the lives and livelihoods of all its inhabitants by supporting the country in implementing the Sustainable Development Agenda with the latest specialised expertise and evidence-based actions. By driving the transformation towards a better, greener, and fairer society, the UN is supporting the country in the achievement of its strategic goals, including supporting reforms that will help the country with the European Union (EU) integration process.
The work of the UN in the country is reflected in the United Nations Sustainable Development Cooperation Framework (UNSDCF). The UNSDCF 2021-2025 has been developed in partnership with the Government and in coordination with many other international and domestic partners, including organizations and individuals from all walks of life, from the civil society, academia, or the private sector. Based on an in-depth analysis and following an extensive public consultation process, the UNSDCF 2021 to 2025 was adopted by the Government on 26 October 2020.
- A total of 18 UN agencies, funds, and programmes work together through the United Nations Country Team (UNCT), chaired by the UN Resident Coordinator—the designated representative of the UN Secretary General for development operations in the country.
- Guided by the overarching principle of Leaving No One Behind (LNOB); by the human rights-based approach; gender equality and women’s empowerment; resilience; sustainability and accountability, the UN in North Macedonia will seek to ensure that:
- By 2025, the living standard of all people in North Macedonia is improved through equal access to decent work and productive employment generated by an inclusive and innovative business ecosystem.
- By 2025, all people in the country enjoy universal access to rights-based quality social services—healthcare, education, and necessary social and child protection—rooted in systems resilient to emergencies.
- By 2025, all people in North Macedonia benefit from ambitious climate action, sustainably managed natural resources and well-preserved biodiversity through good environmental governance and disaster resilient communities.
- By 2025, the country has improved rule of law; evidence-based, anticipatory and gender-responsive policies; greater social cohesion; and effective service delivery by transparent, accountable and responsive institutions.
To learn more visit: https://northmacedonia.un.org/.
Data about the work of the UN Country Team on COVID-19 is available on their Country Dashboard.
UN Country Team
Resident Coordinator Office
UN Entities in the Country
Patrizia Di Giovanni
Dr Jihane Tawilah
Sonja Bozinovska Petrusevska
Ana Luiza M.Thompson-Flores
UN Key Documents
UNDAF/United Nations Sustainable Development Cooperation Framework (CP)