The United Nations in Seychelles
The United Nations Multi-Country Office for Mauritius and Seychelles is located in Port Louis, Mauritius. It coordinates the work of twenty-one United Nations agencies, funds and programmes.
In Seychelles, the United Nations has set up a Strategic Partnership Framework with the Government to plan for and coordinate the implementation of UN activities in support of Seychelles' development priorities within the long-term objectives of realizing the sustainable development goals, as well as meeting internationally agreed commitments and obligations.
- The Government the Republic of Seychelles and the United Nations entered into a Strategic Partnership Framework (2019-2023) that consolidates the strategic directions and programmes of the UN system in a single coherent framework providing a platform for common policy work, stronger programmes coordination, and timely delivery of results.
- From early 2020, the UN has supported the Republic of Seychelles in preparing and implementing a response to the health impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic and in updating it as the situation evolves. The UN family has further helped develop a multisectoral response to address the economic and social impacts of the crisis. Aligned with the Strategic Partnership Framework (SPF) and national development priorities, the UN and the government of Seychelles produced a COVID-19 Socio Economic Response Plan (SERP) to assist Seychelles in designing and launching a wide-ranging medium-term recovery.
- The Republic of Seychelles has presented its first Voluntary National Review report to the United Nations High Level Political Forum, highlighting the country’s progress on the implementation of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development and the Sustainable Development Goals. The report was prepared in a consultative, inclusive and participatory process involving all sectors and levels of government, civil society, private sector and other stakeholders.
- The United Nations Global Compact launched its first regional network in Africa covering Mauritius, Seychelles and the other islands states of the Indian Ocean region in October 2020. Companies from Mauritius, Seychelles and Madagascar have committed to the Ten Principles of the UN Global Compact on human rights, labour, environment and anti-corruption and to take action to advance the Sustainable Development Goals.
- The UN has been providing capacity-building to the Seychellois Government in fulfilling its human rights obligations. In September 2020, the UN extended technical support to Seychelles on the Universal Periodic Review through a virtual training. Seychelles' 3rd cycle UPR was successfully submitted in March 2021 to be reviewed at the 38th session of the Human Rights Council in May 2021.The UN has also provided technical support aimed at strengthening the Seychelles Human Rights Commission (SHRC). The UN remains committed to providing technical support to Seychelles with the establishment/strengthening of a National Mechanism for Reporting and Follow-up (NMRF).
To learn more visit: Seychelles.UN.org
UN Seychelles Country Team
UN Key Documents
UNDAF/United Nations Sustainable Development Cooperation Framework (CP)