| Photo: UN Photo/Amanda Voisard
The United Nations in Turkmenistan
Turkmenistan joined the United Nations on 2 March 1992 as a new independent state. Since then the UN has been supporting Turkmenistan to achieve its national priorities, which respond to the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). The Resident Coordinator leads the UN Country Team (UNCT) and ensures that the UN agencies support the national development priorities in five strategic areas: Quality data and progress monitoring; Quality, inclusive social services; Environmental sustainability and energy efficiency; Employment, economic diversification, and trade; Governance and rule of law. UN agencies coordinate their work through joint Work Plans.
- Turkmenistan has adopted the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development, along with the SDGs. It has established national institutions to monitor, report on, promote and advocate for the SDGs.
- Turkmenistan has adopted four national human rights action plans in order to implement recommendations for human rights improvements. It also established the Institute of the Human Rights Ombudsperson.
- Turkmenistan has ratified the Paris Agreement and is revising its national climate change strategy. The new strategy focuses on adaptation and mitigation to ensure low emissions development.
- Civil society is engaged in dialogue with the Government at all levels. Civil society organizations participate in policy development and implementation, and are involved in the UN’s Voluntary National Review process.
- Turkmenistan has increased co-financing for development initiatives, focusing on health, financial, statistical and employment services and sectors.
- Public-private partnerships are growing in importance in areas ranging from reproductive health services and employment for people with disabilities, to innovative financing.
To learn more visit: https://turkmenistan.un.org.
UN Country Team
Resident Coordinator Office
UN Entities in the Country
UN Key Documents
UNDAF/United Nations Sustainable Development Cooperation Framework (CP)