| Photo: UN Photo/Amanda Voisard
The United Nations in Turkmenistan
Turkmenistan joined the United Nations on 2 March 1992 as a new independent state. Since then the UN has been supporting Turkmenistan to achieve its national priorities, which respond to the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). The Resident Coordinator leads the UN Country Team (UNCT) and ensures that the UN agencies support the national development priorities in five strategic areas: Quality data and progress monitoring; Quality, inclusive social services; Environmental sustainability and energy efficiency; Employment, economic diversification, and trade; Governance and rule of law. UN agencies coordinate their work through joint Work Plans.
- Turkmenistan has adopted the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development, along with the SDGs. It has established national institutions to monitor, report on, promote and advocate for the SDGs.
- Turkmenistan has adopted five national human rights action plans in order to implement recommendations from Human Rights mechanisms. It also established the Institute of the Human Rights Ombudsperson.
- Turkmenistan has ratified the Paris Agreement, adopted the National climate change strategy. The new strategy focuses on adaptation and mitigation to ensure low emissions development.
- Turkmenistan has increased co-financing for development initiatives, focusing on health, financial, statistical and employment services and sectors. UN and the Ministry of Finance and Economy have signed a Memorandum of Understanding which laid the basis for strengthening the cooperation on mobilizing internal financing of SDGs.
- Civil society and youth are engaged in dialogue with the Government at all levels. They became active players in policy development and implementation and were involved in the UN’s Voluntary National Review process.
- The first joint programme “Improving the system of social protection through the introduction of inclusive quality community-based social services”, was approved by the Joint SDG Fund for funding and implementation by January 2022. The Agencies to implement are UNICEF, UNDP, UNFPA and UNODC.
To learn more visit: https://turkmenistan.un.org.
UN Country Team
Resident Coordinator Office
UN Entities in the Country
UN Key Documents
UNDAF/United Nations Sustainable Development Cooperation Framework (CP)