| Photo: FAO Uzbekistan/Sanobar Khudaybergenova
The United Nations in Uzbekistan
Uzbekistan joined the United Nations on 2 March 1992 as a new sovereign and independent state. The United Nations Office opened in Tashkent the following year. The United Nations Country Team (UNCT) in Uzbekistan comprises 24 UN agencies, funds and programmes working together to advance national development priorities in line with the Agenda 2030 and the Sustainable Development Goals.
Currently, the cooperation between UN agencies and the Republic of Uzbekistan is carried out under the United Nations Development Assistance Framework (UNDAF) for 2016 to 2020, aligned to the national Action Strategy 2017 to 2021. Priority areas of cooperation include:
- Inclusive economic development, with a focus on employment and social protection;
- Quality health and education, to fully realise human potential;
- Environmental protection, to ensure sustainable development; and
- Effective governance, to enhance public service delivery and the protection of rights.
In September 2020, the UN Country Team finalised the next generation UN Sustainable Development Cooperation Framework (2021-2025). The forthcoming Cooperation Framework articulates the UN’s collective response to supporting Uzbekistan to achieve the national SDGs with an emphasis on leaving no one behind. The Cooperation Framework will be the primary instrument for planning and implementation of all UN development activities in country, in support of Agenda 2030 for Sustainable Development. It was prepared in close consultation with the Government, the Parliament and civil society in Uzbekistan.
- October 2018, SDG Acceleration - Approval of National SDGs, roadmap and establishment of Coordination council.
- November 2018, Integrated Approach to Leaving No One Behind - Establishment of the Aral Sea Multi-Partner Trust Fund (MPTF).
- September 2018, Climate Action - Ratification of Paris Agreement and launch of green economy strategy.
- 2019-2020, Civil Society Engagement - Multi-stakeholder consultations for Cooperation Framework development and series of civil society dialogues for UN75 campaign.
- February 2020, Parliamentary Oversight - Bicameral Parliamentary Commission on SDGs established to review Government progress on implementing national SDGs.
- May 2020, Pandemic Response - Consolidated multilateral COVID-19 socio-economic response offer, bringing together 16 UN entities and 6 multilateral banks with a USD 3.4 billion support package.
To learn more visit: https://uzbekistan.un.org/.
Data about the work of the UN Country Team on COVID-19 is available on their Country Dashboard.
UN Country Team
Resident Coordinator Office
Rusyan Jill Mamiit
UN Entities in the Country
Addisu Kebede Mekonnen
UN Key Documents
UNDAF/United Nations Sustainable Development Cooperation Framework (CP)