| Photo: UN Azerbaijan
The United Nations in Azerbaijan
The United Nations (UN) and Azerbaijan are in the final year of the implementation of the UN-Azerbaijan Partnership Framework for the period between 2016 to 2020. This is the fourth cooperation document to have been signed between the UN agencies and the Government which has marked a transition from assistance-based to a partnership-based cooperation. Currently, the sides continue consultations on a new partnership document – UN Sustainable Development Cooperation Framework (UNSDCF). The UNSDCF is a five-year programming cycle that will serve as a guiding document for the work of the UN System in Azerbaijan.
- On 2 March 1992, Azerbaijan became a Member State of the United Nations after the UN General Assembly adopted resolution 46/230 at the 82nd plenary meeting of its 46th session in New York. On 6 May 1992, Azerbaijan opened its Permanent Mission to the UN in New York.
- During the initial years following Azerbaijan’s independence, UN's assistance was primarily focused on the immediate needs of refugees and IDPs affected by the conflict in and around the Nagorno-Karabakh region of Azerbaijan.
- In 2000, the Government of Azerbaijan committed to achieving the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs) and partnered with the UN Agencies and other development actors in the fight against poverty. As a result, poverty has been reduced drastically.
- Azerbaijan has been elected as a non-permanent member of the UN Security Council for the term of 2012 to 2013 after receiving the vote of 155 Member States.
- On 25 September 2015, Azerbaijan joined other UN Member States in adopting the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development. On 6 October 2016, President of Azerbaijan signed a decree creating the National Coordination Council for Sustainable Development.
- In 2016, the UN and the Government of Azerbaijan concluded a new cooperation agreement with the signing of the UN-Azerbaijan Partnership Framework (UNAPF) for the period between 2016 to 2020.
To learn more visit: https://azerbaijan.un.org/.
Data about the work of the UN Country Team on COVID-19 is available on their Country Dashboard.
UN Country Team
Resident Coordinator Office
UN Entities in the Country
Mr. Alessandro Fracassetti
Mr. Edward Carwardine
Mr. Guido Ambroso
Mr. Farid Babayev
Ms. Melek Cakmak
Ms. Fatos Hande Harmanci
Mr. Yashar Hamzayev
Mr. Vladimir Shkolnikov
Mr. Mahir Aliyev
Mr. Vladimir Gjorgjiev
Mr. Rashad Huseynov
Ms. Catherine Haswell
Ms. Dinara Abbas
Ms. Sevil Ganbarova
Ms. Erika Kvapilova
UN Key Documents
UNDAF/United Nations Sustainable Development Cooperation Framework (CP)