Linking investments, partners and SDGs
Where is the money going?
Where we work
The United Nations in Azerbaijan
On 1 March 2021, the UN Country Team and the Government of Azerbaijan have signed the UN Sustainable Development Cooperation Framework (UNSDCF) – a new cooperation document for a period from 2021 to 2025. The fifth Cooperation Framework has identified four priority areas for partnership: inclusive growth that reduces vulnerability and builds resilience; stronger institutions for better public and social services delivery; protecting the environment and addressing climate change; and achieving a gender-equitable society that empowers women and girls.
- On 2 March 1992, Azerbaijan became a Member State of the United Nations after the UN General Assembly adopted resolution 46/230 at the 82nd plenary meeting of its 46th session in New York. On 6 May 1992, Azerbaijan opened its Permanent Mission to the UN in New York.
- During the initial years following Azerbaijan’s independence, UN's assistance was primarily focused on the immediate needs of refugees and IDPs affected by the conflict in and around the Nagorno-Karabakh region of Azerbaijan.
- In 2000, the Government of Azerbaijan committed to achieving the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs) and partnered with the UN entities and other development actors in the fight against poverty. As a result, poverty has been reduced drastically.
- Azerbaijan has been elected as a non-permanent member of the UN Security Council for the term of 2012 to 2013 after receiving the vote of 155 Member States.
- On 25 September 2015, Azerbaijan joined other UN Member States in adopting the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development. On 6 October 2016, President of Azerbaijan signed a decree creating the National Coordination Council for Sustainable Development.
- In 2016, the UN and the Government of Azerbaijan concluded a new cooperation agreement with the signing of the UN-Azerbaijan Partnership Framework (UNAPF) for the period between 2016 to 2020.
To learn more visit: https://azerbaijan.un.org/.
Data about the work of the UN Country Team on COVID-19 is available on their Country Dashboard.
UN Azerbaijan Country Team
UN Key Documents
UNDAF/United Nations Sustainable Development Cooperation Framework (CP)