| Photo: UNICEF / Dohou/ 2019
The United Nations in Chad
Chad has been a member of the United Nations (UN) since September 20, 1960. As an impartial and trusted partner, the UN supports the Government of Chad in implementing national policies to respond more effectively to the major challenges of peace, security and development, and to the humanitarian needs the country is facing.
Fourteen UN programmes and agencies operate in the country (FAO, OHCHR, OCHA, IOM, WHO, UNODC, UNAIDS, WFP, UNDP, UNEP, UNESCO, UNFPA, UNHCR and UNICEF). Most have offices in N'Djamena and in other parts of the country.
By adopting the "Delivering as One" approach, the country reaffirms its willingness to work jointly with its development partners in order to reinvigorate its economy and industry, to improve the well-being of the Chadian population, and to achieve the Sustainable Development Goals by 2030.
With the aim to effectively respond to the country's challenges and needs, a United Nations Development Assistance Framework (UNDAF 2017-2021) was developed based on a partnership between the entities of the United Nations System and the Government of Chad. This plan sets the priority areas of intervention that have been jointly identified to transform the living conditions of the people of Chad.
- More equitable access to quality essential social services and to education for the people, especially the most vulnerable groups.
- Improved food security, resilience of communities to climate changes, and access to employment opportunities for youth and women.
- Improved institutional capacity, modernization of the State, peacebuilding and democracy consolidation, and promotion of human rights.
- Increased contraceptive prevalence and reduction of maternal, newborn and child mortality.
- Advocacy for the participation of civil society organizations in the strengthening of the rule of law and the promotion of good governance.
- Achieve gender equality and empower all women and girls.
To learn more visit: https://chad.un.org/.
Data about the work of the UN Country Team on COVID-19 is available on their Country Dashboard.
UN Country Team
Resident Coordinator Office
Simon Yannick Fouda Ekobena
Pascal Dohou Ferso
UN Entities in the Country
Dr Sennen HOUNTON
Papa Kysma Sylla
Dr. Viviane Van Steirteghem
Dr Amado Philip de Andres
UN Key Documents
UNDAF/United Nations Sustainable Development Cooperation Framework (CP)