| Photo: Flickr: UNICEF El Salvador
The United Nations in El Salvador
The UN's work in El Salvador is based on five areas of cooperation, established by the United Nations Development Assistance Framework (UNDAF) for the period 2016 to2020:
- basic goods and services,
- decent work and livelihoods,
- resilience and
- safe environments and coexistence.
It is intended to contribute to the solution of the identified problem, together with the rest of the development partners: government, civil society, private companies, and the rest of the international community.
- Access to quality essential goods and services. The UN supports El Salvador to prepare and integrate into the sexual and reproductive health chapter of theprenatal, delivery, and postpartum care guidelines, as well as the National Intersectoral Strategy for the Prevention of Pregnancy in Girls and Adolescents that contributed to the country having one of the lowest maternal death rates in Latin America (27.4 maternal deaths per 100,000 live births).
- Consensus and governance. Support helped women have greater participation in politics, through training by the 14 departments of the country and generate spaces for dialogue on the challenges that women face in politics. It also designed a guide against political violence, which includes information on the mechanisms in place to protect their rights, as well as a gender-based violence tracker that measures political violence against women and girls, and has become a tool, which helps raise awareness of wide-range of gender-based violence.
- Decent work and livelihoods. An inclusive production model has been promoted at the national level and improvements in working conditions for women, through the design of a national policy of co-responsibility in care and the support to a gender equality certification model for private individuals.
- Resilience. Through the Humanitarian Country Team and the UNETE Inter-agency Team, it has supported the improvement of coordination and response to emergencies. Likewise, it has contributed to caring for people affected by droughts, through food assistance, nutritional surveillance, and provision of inputs to address malnutrition, establishment of orchards and water harvesting and irrigation systems, and facilitation of access to quality and quantity water.
- Safe environments. The country has been supported in responding to insecurity and violence through programmes to strengthen the institutions in charge of delivering justice, prosecuting crime and preventing violence, peacebuilding strategies, support in national strategies to generate opportunities for returnees and their reintegration to their communities of origin, and the eradication of femicide.
To learn more visit: https://elsalvador.un.org/.
Data about the work of the UN Country Team on COVID-19 is available on their Country Dashboard.
UN Country Team
Resident Coordinator Office
Maria Elena Rivas
UN Entities in the Country
Ana Elena Badilla
Geovanna Isabel Lucio Ramos
Esther Kuisch Laroch
UN Key Documents
UNDAF/United Nations Sustainable Development Cooperation Framework (CP)