| Photo: UN Egypt
The United Nations in Egypt
The United Nations has been operational in Egypt since 1948. There are currently 32 UN Agencies, Funds and Programmes in Egypt, including regional offices.
The UN promotes sustainable development through providing evidence-based policy advice, support to institutional capacity building and strengthening, and providing direct support and services to beneficiaries.
The partnership between the UN and the Government of Egypt is outlined through a five-year partnership agreement, currently the 2018-2022 United Nations Partnership Development Framework (UNPDF). The UNPDF is fully aligned with the national sustainable development strategy, Egypt Vision 2030, which is in turn aligned with the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development and the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). The budget for the UNPDF is set at $1.2 billion.
- Egypt has developed its national sustainable development strategy, Egypt Vision 2030 and submitted two Voluntary National Reviews, in 2016 and 2018, illustrating a strong commitment to the 2030 Agenda and to the progression of a national approach to sustainable development.
- The UN and the Government of Egypt (GOE) have renewed their partnership with the launch of the 2018-2022 UN Partnership Development Framework that is aligned with Egypt Vision 2030, and the realization of the 2030 Agenda and the SDGs in Egypt.
- During 2018, the UN focused on enabling policy dialogues on nutrition, health and social protection and provided support to 213,396 start-ups and existing enterprises through facilitating the establishment of linkages between different actors of the value chain, introducing local producers to the national and international markets, and improving skills necessary for entrepreneurial ventures.
- The UN continues to raise awareness on sustainable development through increasing and enhancing knowledge of the 2030 Agenda and the SDGs amongst several segments of the Egyptian society including youth and media professionals.
- The UN supports the operationalisation of the National Strategy for the Empowerment of the Egyptian Women 2030 to enact women’s constitutional rights that foster principles of equality and non-discrimination, equal opportunity, and protection.
- The UN and the GOE have launched the Egypt Chapter in the Regional Refugee & Resilience Plan 2019 – 2020 in response to the Syria Crisis (3RP) and the Egypt Response Plan for Refugees and Asylum-seekers from Sub-Saharan Africa, Iraq and Yemen 2019 (ERP) as part of the GOE’s sustained efforts to support refugees and asylum-seekers from all nationalities in Egypt.
To learn more visit: https://egypt.un.org/.
UN Country Team
Resident Coordinator Office
UN Entities in the Country
Nasreldin Hag Elamin
Gielan El Messiri
Bassel Al khatib
Aleksandar Sasha Bodiroza
Laurent De Boeck
UN Key Documents
UNDAF/United Nations Sustainable Development Cooperation Framework (CP)