| Photo: UNFPA Ukraine
The United Nations in Ukraine
The United Nations in Ukraine works with the Government and the people of Ukraine to build a culture of dignity, through understanding of and respect for human rights, towards a peaceful and transformed Ukraine. The special attention of the United Nations is given to the needs and aspirations of the most marginalized and vulnerable populations in Ukraine. This approach builds on the core SDG concept of equitable development for all, ‘leaving no one behind’ and the key message to ‘reach the furthest behind first’.
The United Nations Country Team (UNCT) in Ukraine is composed of representatives of 16 UN specialized agencies, funds and programmes, accredited in Ukraine. The work of the UN in Ukraine is guided by the Government of Ukraine - United Nations Partnership Framework 2018-2022. This strategic document was formulated with strong participation from the Government of Ukraine, the United Nations Country Team (UNCT) in Ukraine, civil society and other stakeholders and affirms the commitment of all partners in support of the Sustainable Development Agenda 2030 in areas that coincide with national development priorities. Results formulated under this document respond to the national development challenges and make use of the UN’s comparative advantages, capacity and resources. There are four key Pillars of work:
- Sustainable economic growth, environment and employment;
- Equitable access to quality and inclusive services and social protection;
- Democratic governance, rule of law and civic participation;
- Human security, social cohesion and recovery with a particular focus on Eastern Ukraine.
- 1991 - Ukraine declares independence. It maintained human rights and full membership in the UN as high priorities, in part by signing the Convention on the Right of the Child.
- 2003 - The United Nations acknowledges the Great Famine of 1932-33 on its 70th anniversary as a national tragedy for Ukraine caused by Soviet Policies. The same year Ukraine signs the Convention to Eliminate all forms of Discrimination Against Women (CEDAW).
- 2010 - Ukraine signs the Convention on the Rights of People with Disabilities. The Convention is comprised of 50 clauses and is aimed at the protection of rights of people with disabilities. The document guaranteed their right to employment, health care, education, access to justice, personal inviolability and freedom of movement and protects them from a manifestation of discrimination. At this time at least 3 million people with disabilities live in Ukraine.
- 2016 - Ukraine was among the first countries to sign and ratify an agreement under the UN Framework Convention on Climate Change to regulate activities for the reduction of carbon dioxide emissions from 2020. In pursuance of the provisions of the Paris Agreement, Ukraine has drafted, adopted, and submitted Ukraine's 2050 Low Carbon Development Strategy to the UNFCCC Secretariat.
- 2019 - President of Ukraine Volodymyr Zelensky adopted a Decree on Sustainable Development Goals until 2030 aimed at ensuring the national interests of Ukraine in the sustainable development of the economy, the civil society and the state in order to achieve an increase in the level and quality of life of the population, observe the constitutional rights and freedoms of Ukraine's citizens.
- 2019 - With a strong support of UNAIDS, Ukraine started to pay for HIV prevention services, which was previously financed by donors. As a result of the joint advocacy and technical assistance, the Government of Ukraine is already financing most of the HIV treatment and prevention programmes, including opioid substitution therapy and pre-exposure prophylaxis. Transition from a donor to domestically financed AIDS response is a globally recognized success of Ukraine.
To learn more visit: https://ukraine.un.org/.
Data about the work of the UN Country Team on COVID-19 is available on their Country Dashboard.
UN Country Team
Resident Coordinator Office
UN Entities in the Country
Ms. Alice Sequi Armanni
Ms. Matilda Bogner
Mr. Raman Hailevich
Mr. Dafina Gercheva
Mr. Jaime Nadal
Mr. Pablo Mateu
Ms. Lotta Sylwander
Ms. Zhannat Kosmukhamedova
Mr. Yuriy Savko
Mr. Jarno Habicht
Mr. Anh Nguyen
Mr. Irina Sahakyan Vetter
Mr. Sergiy Savchuk
UN Key Documents
UNDAF/United Nations Sustainable Development Cooperation Framework (CP)